- Principal Investigator (PI) Handbook
- On-line Training
- Office of Grants & Contracts Administration
- Research Integrity & Compliance
- Office of Research and Innovation (ORI) - supported Intramural Grants & Awards
- Innovation and Commercialization
Export Controls are federal statutes and regulations that govern how certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas to anyone, including U.S. citizens, or to a foreign national here in the U.S. The U.S. Export Control system, which has existed in various forms since the late 1940s, seeks to protect national security and maintain the economic competitiveness of the U.S.
It is important for UNT faculty members and staff employees to understand their obligations under the Export Control laws. Failure to comply with these laws can result in severe consequences for UNT as well as for individual researchers, including fines and imprisonment. This website is designed to assist faculty and staff in understanding Export Control laws and provide guidance as to what steps should be taken to ensure compliance. Please review these materials and contact Research Integrity & Compliance if you have any questions or if you wish to schedule training for your department.
Export Controls Summary: "Export Controls & Universities - Information & Case Studies," Council on Governmental Relations
Other Tools and Resources
- UNT Export Controls Overview & Checklist for Researchers
- Export Controls Decision Tree (Stanford University)
- Export Administration Regulations (EAR), U.S. Department of Commerce
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), U.S. Department of State
- Annotated ITAR
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), U.S. Department of the Treasury
- UNT Checklist for International Shipments
- President's Export Control Reform Initiative
- Export Controls Compliance Manual
Export Controls Training
- An Export Controls Basics workshop is presented at the beginning of each fall and spring semester - check the calendar for important events.
- U.S. Department of Commerce (Bureau of Industry and Security) Training Modules
*This page contains pdf documents. You can download a free pdf reader here.